Friday 13 August 2004

My First InterviewS

Ah..it was 9.35am this morning on a great FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH....scary. I woke up to a call from the company asking me to go for my interview. Cool! i was trying very hard to sound joyful and awake, while the inside of me wanted to continue my wonderful dream..=P Hey, why did anyone make dreams so forgettable?!

Well. 10.30am. I was having problems with my tie. Finding my shoes (Dad took them!!!). 1050am, i look like i am going for my grad shoot again...hehe....are we doing it AGAIN?

Getting there was no cheap task...i had to pay the taxi driver a painful $9 to escape the 1 hr journey to the company. =P

The first: Seemed very nice. Showed me the reports by those in Japan. (I have hope?) 10 min into the interview. She gave me a lecture on "why you should tell me if you are not interested"...i mean..i am here for an interview! of course i am interested!! not in her of course. it was awesome. For 30 min or so i was listening and listening to her. She sure has lots of pent up fustration. It came to a point that my smile was wearing off. I can't hold a smile for 30 mins without having a chance to talk!

"You have gone to Japan and S.Korea, so what are the difference between these two cultures?". Aiyoh...mati liaoz. i didn't really thought about that ever in my life. *Grenade!* and a great cloud of smoke appears.

"Now, Do you know who is our new PM?". She looked as though she was saying "you young people, i bet you didn't know! Tell me lah if you know? muahaha". "uh. PM Lee?" was my reply. I watched the hand over just yesterday! "So what wishes do you have for him?". Woah..this gotta be the newest HR question in the century. I tried to be as politically correct as i could. 1 hour of drilling and usual HR qns later, its over. She's nice. No technical stuff asked. COol!

The second: 2 men. One nice guy, and one looking quite serious. "Please ask me about 'CMOS'. I've just studied it 4 hours ago." i thought. "Now, you mentioned you studied CMOS, draw it for me" they said. Thank God. I drew it and they looked somewhat puzzled at each other. "Now what's this for?", pointing to a part of my drawing. "It's for XYZ then ABC so that EFG can BBC". They thought for a full 10 silent seconds and said: "Okay, please proceed to the next room". This Can't be Friday13? (They are nice too)

The third: 1 man. A soft-spoken man with a thick beard. The worst combi, cuz it means i can't even lip read him. He's Tamil. I had to keep asking him to repeat himself. He's tough. The technical questions kept coming at me. "Do you know what's X? Draw it out for me please. How come there is this Y here? What about this portion Z? Explain to me how X works." Then, he asked, "how come you have a bunch of Cs and Ds grade in your 2nd year?"...yikes. Then, i thought of ACSWO. hehe...it saved me big time. (we were busy preparing for the concert remember? =P) (he's nice too..heck...everyone there was nice.)

So there. My first 3 interviews of my life in a day called F13. It ain't that bad a day after all!

Trivia: As a took 61 home from kallang (1 hour ++ journey no less) , i caught a glimpse of an old golden Euphonium in a television box in a 3 wheeled bicycle next to a wet market weighing machine next to a recycling point. I wonder what are they gonna do with it. Sell it as metal? or was it an instrument used to supplement someone's income. hmm.

Over the air: Hooberstank - the Reason

Comments: If you are my interviewers, who, by "strike the toto" kinda chance, landed on this page, Peace? =P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha.. You had 3 interviews in ONE day?!!?
And they called you in the morning to go
for their interviews that very day!!

OK.. that's signs of them _urgently_ in need of people,
OR a very disorganised company! *O*

Very strange also, that the HR person is the first
to interview you. Hmm.. I recall HR person to be
the last one, and usually only when you're almost
confirmed an offer or already offered the job.
And 1 hr of that crap? Man.. that's a waste of time..

Anyways, Good Luck with your interviews ok!
Just relax and there's really nothing to it!

Sun ^_^

Ivan said...

Thanks!...actually Tshush helped me to get the interview during the short opening...so maybe that's why the interview was so hurried...but, hey, it was damn fun too! =)

Lemming said...

Eh, how come Tshush didn't recommend me leh?
Am I that worthless??!

Hhehehee...well shows you how important it is to have "networks" eh....

Anyway best of luck with the job! When will you be getting a reply?

Do yer guys actually clear it with the family whether anot they'll allow you to work overseas anyways?

Post a Comment

Say your peace!