Monday 16 August 2004

192.168... d0_0b

Woopeedee!

Today, my maxonline 3000 subscription came! It was a promotion that was quite hard to resist really. "Double the bandwidth (upload and download) for an additional 9 bucks to your current subscription! Plus, u get a free modem, free broadband wireless-b router and wireless usb adaptor!" At least that was what was advertised!

The small print is that u are bonded for 2 years and backing out will cost u 400 bucks.

Anyway, I spent the better part of the day configuring the router and testing out the bandwidth increments. And found that the increase in download is only about just 100 K/sec more... at max. So, it's not really a double the download bandwidth. The upload is however, doubled, to 30 K/sec.

The perks of a wireless network didn't kick in (Now I noe how Ivan has been enjoying himself!) until today, as I experimented by connecting up to 2 laptops plus my primary desktop all to one network! The feeling of being connected to a near limitless source of knowledge (read: THE Internet) just gives one a real high, where coupled with a search engine and other search tools, literally gives u anything you want to know at your fingertips. On the scary side, it also shows the sheer dependency we peeps in this technological age have on the internet. Without which, I think, we'll be stopped dead cold in our tracks in our hunt for answers.

Surfing on 1 connection with 3 computers at the same time (Mom, sis and me) took a bit of toll on the bandwidth available, but it was still very bearable. Well, at least until I hogged all the bandwidth with my bit torrent download/upload. Yes, I know there are proggies out there to limit ur upload bandwidth in torrent... but I just wanted to do it for the sake of testing things out.

Hmm... next thing to try out is the local networking! Hmm... do I hear "LAN Party!!!"... Yeah? Hhaha!! We'll see.

And here's a random pic of the day (from Doom 3 of course) to spice up this post a little.



"Another '56k dial-up' user found dead today on Mars."


Sleep.

*Lifehouse - Storm*

-Calvin-

2 comments:

Lemming said...

I second the idea of a lan party damnit!!!

Erm...but what game? =P

Calvin *Rowf* said...

Doom 3? Haha! It's 4-player max on multiplayer anyway.

But unfortunately, when u do return, T3 and Ivan will be gone to good old Tokyo already... for 1 and a half years!

Post a Comment

Say your peace!