Wednesday 8 December 2004

Maestro Frederick Fennell has passed away





-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy Fennell Martensen
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:37 AM
Subject: Fred Fennell

I've managed to reach some of you by phone, others not, and I did
not want to leave this as a voice message.

I want you, and the greater music community to know that my father
died peacefully in his sleep early this morning, Tuesday, December
7, 2004. Elizabeth and I were by his side. I had promised him that
I would do all I could to get him back to Siesta Key so he could
watch the sun set over the ocean. With the help of Hospice, he
arrived home in time to see the brilliant orange and pinks in the
western skies last evening. A bit before Midnight, dad told me he
was "frustrated and disappointed." When I asked him, "Why?" he
replied, "There's no drummer here yet. I can't die without a
drummer!" I told him that I loved him, and that "Heaven's best
drummer was on the way." Moments later he said, "I hear him! I
hear him! I'm OK now." This was my final conversation with my dad.

I was blessed to be able to dress my father in his finest set of
tails after he died, complete with the usual struggle with his tie.
Elizabeth asked if he could be "dressed up" and I could think of
nothing finer for a lasting memory. Dad asked to be cremated and
that I scatter his ashes in the woods at Interlochen, Michigan this
summer. This, of course, I will do.

Elizabeth is OK at this point. We are closely watching her,
monitoring her blood sugar levels and seeing that she gets the diet
and rest she needs after such a life transition.

There will be a small Memorial Service at a church in Siesta Key.
No date or time has been set yet. As knowledge of my father's death
is communicated, please keep both Elizabeth and me in your prayers.

Fondly > Cathy Fennell Martensen

Feel free to forward this email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace!